Disclaimer

This blog is for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to teach you how to build anything. The author is not responsible for any accident, injury, or loss that occurs as a result of reading this blog. Read this blog at your own risk.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Ch. 3 - Education - Part 1

What turned me to composite construction came a bit unexpectedly. 
After finishing my 2010 EAA sheet metal workshop, I was more convinced than ever about building my dream airplane, the RV-8A (which I still love). Problem was, money was tight as always (two kids in college), and I was finding it difficult to gather enough of it to buy the tools and the tail kit, without having a major impact on our cash flow.
While saving money for the RV, I decided to order the composite practice kit from Aircraft Spruce. I figured I had never really given composites a fair shake, and I would be learning techniques I could later use on the RV trim. 

What I had not planned on was enjoying the composite construction as much as I did; but what really sold me on it, turned out to be its incredible strength (more on that later).

Composites practice kit from Aircraft Spruce.



Kit content

With all the things I needed on hand, including my awesome assisting daughter, we embarked on our first construction project, a flat six-plies layup.


Trendy glasses



In this layup you only make use of bidirectional fiberglass (BID), with the fibers oriented along, and across, the length of the piece.





Actual construction manual drawing




It helps that she's a Chemical Engineer.


The whole point of this exercise is to learn to meter the amount of epoxy used. After trimming the cured piece to a 10” x 16” rectangle, its weight should fall between 10.5 and 12.5 oz. Anything heavier means too much epoxy, anything lighter, not enough of it.



Cured piece after a rough trim


10.06 ounces


As you can see my piece appears to be slightly on the dry side, but it turned out that I cut it slightly smaller, so I believe it still has the proper fiberglass/epoxy ratio, although on the low side of the spectrum (good thing).
So, now what?
Well, I thought it would be fun to destroy my very flexible test piece, by loading it to failure.
How does the biggest hammer in the shop sound? 
That’s what I thought!


This is the heaviest hammer I have



Well, that was underwhelming!

Let me find another one...






Wow, that didn’t make much of a difference, did it. 
Wait, I’ve got one more...

That's all the hammers I have

Damn! I’m all out of hammers. 
Let’s find something bigger. 
Ok, no more Mr. Nice Guy. How about a 25 lb grinder?






Nada!
Ok, this time we are going massive.
A 75 lb, 3 ton floor jack.


This thing is killing my back!



Die little fiberglass panel, die!


I had to screw the two pieces of lumber to the bottom board

Holy crap! 





I suppose when it’s not your time, it just isn’t.





My "better half" approves



By the way, after removing the weight, the piece went right back to its original shape.
How does sheet aluminum sound now?!


2 comments:

  1. Good confidence building exercise for the family ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right! You really need to get the whole family on board before starting this type of project. I'm lucky to have a very understanding family, though it did take some convincing.

      Delete